So you want to improve your credit? You’ve come to the right place.
I thought it would be useful to have a page with all of our recommended resources for building credit and improving your credit score in one place.
Many of these tools and services have been mentioned before across the forum, but this should give you a great overview of all of the services and tools that are out there to help you start building or rebuilding your credit.
Professional Credit Consultation
- CreditRepair.com: Get a free consultation and learn how CreditRepair.com can eliminate inaccurate items from your credit report. Its members see an average of 11.6 negative items removed from their credit reports, and an average gain in their credit score of 40 points, in just 4 months. Visit their website or call them at (844) 346-3175 for a free consultation and to learn more.
- The Credit Pros: Get a free credit consultation with a credit expert who can help you to improve your credit. You can call them directly at (800) 411-3050.
- Jeanne Kelly Jeanne and her team of highly trained credit specialists delivers practical advice and insight in respectful, private one-on-one phone-based coaching sessions. Hire them for a one-time review to help you get going! You can call Jeanne directly at (866) 283-8818.
Credit Cards Recommendations
If you are looking to apply for a credit card we recommend the following cards. You can also view the full list of the best credit cards for people with limited, poor and fair credit.
All these cards are unsecured. And none of them have hidden fees.
- Milestone® Gold MasterCard®: A great credit card for people with bad credit, including a prior bankruptcy or other major credit issue. It reports to all three major credit bureaus. You can even see if you are pre-qualified before applying. This card charges a variable annual fee, depending on your credit worthiness.
- Milestone® Gold MasterCard®: This version of the Milestone card is geared for people with average / fair / limited credit. And, yes, previous bankruptcies are OK with this card as well. Quick pre-qualification is available with no impact to your credit score. It has a variable annual fee, depending on your credit worthiness.
There are now rewards cards available for those with average or even limited credit. Our top recommendation is:
- CapitalOne® QuickSilverOne® Rewards: Another rewards credit card for those with fair or average credit! It does have an annual fee. Apply now on CreditSoup®!
If you want to learn more about any of these cards, check out our Guide to the Best Cards for Building/Rebuilding Your Credit.
- Check Your Credit Scores: The first step in building or rebuilding credit is to check your credit scores and report so you know where you currently stand.
- Get Your Credit Reports: You can get your current credit reports from the three credit bureaus here.
- myFico: myFICO is the leading expert in providing actual credit reports, scores and information to consumers online. They offer a variety of tools and products to monitor your credit with any one or all three of major bureaus.
Identity Theft Protection
IdentityForce: Identity theft continues to be one of the fastest growing crimes in the U.S. – last year there were over 12 million victims of this faceless crime. IdentityForce is the most trusted identity protection service, and it is available to individual and families across the U.S. Offer the best in protection, and do more for your bottom line.
- Protection backed by a nation-wide $1 million insurance policy
- Daily 3-Bureau Credit Monitoring
- Continuously monitor your personal information to detect illegal trading and selling
- Instant notification when your personal information is being misused
- 24/7 fully-managed restoration services by Certified Protection Experts
- Free Two Week Trial
Free Credit Score Tools & Services
- AnnualCreditReport.com: AnnualCreditReport.com is a free service that allows you access to a free copy of your credit report every 12 months from each of TransUnion, Experian and Equifax. Unfortunately, these reports do not include your credit score from those bureaus. For that, you will need to pay extra or check out one of our other recommended resources.
- CreditSesame: Credit Sesame is a 100% free personal finance credit and debt management tool with no credit card required or trial period. Credit Sesame makes managing personal credit online, owing less in interest and saving on mortgage, loan & credit card payments easy!
Tools for Eliminating Debt
- My Total Money Makeover: Dave Ramsey has helped a lot of people get out of debt. Although I don’t agree with him on the fact that ALL debt is bad debt his courses can be a godsend to those who are stuck in the debt trap.
- Personal Capital: Before you can eliminate debt you need to have a budget. Personal Capital is great for tracking expenses. You can even use it to get bill reminders so that you never miss a payment. Good payment history = good credit score. Plus, you also can keep track of your investments and retirement accounts. Watch your debt shrink and your wealth blossom all in one place!
- Official FTC Credit Repair Guide: Great overview of your rights as a consumer, how to recognize a credit repair scam, and a sample dispute letter example.
- First Steps To Rebuilding Your Credit Score: If you are trying to rebuild your credit score you will want to read this.
I will update this list periodically as new tools and services become available or if I stumble across anything else useful.
We highly encourage you to Register for CreditForums and start posting if you are trying to improve your credit score. I’ve found that collaborating with others on this forum can be a HUGE help and we would love to follow along on your journey.